The Academic Advancement Network (AAN) supports MSU academic colleagues of all appointment types, career stages, and roles. Specifically, we serve all tenure system and fixed-term faculty, academic staff, and academic administrators.
Read more in the About section.
Please visit our Events Calendar and filter by any number of topics. You may also search using our tailored search tool, by topic, academic role type, etc.
Registration information is located on each page of the calendar.
Please refer to our events calendar. The target audience for each event is listed on the page.
Second, be sure to check out our Orientation pages for:
- New Employee Checklist
- Videos for background into MSU
- Syllabus Checklist
Third, you are welcome to attend seminars and workshops that happen throughout the year. We will send you email invitations to these events. You may also see a range of professional development activities at MSU on our Events Calendar.
Fourth, we will send an invitation to you to attend the next New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation session.
Fifth, feel free to contact us at (517) 432-1185 if you have further questions.
At MSU, a broad range of academic positions are represented by the term “academic staff.” These include, but are not limited to:
- Academic Specialists, whose work can fall in any combination of the following categories: advising, curriculum development, outreach, research, and teaching
- MSU Extension Personnel
- Certain positions within the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams and National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (FRIB/NSCL)
- Postdoctoral Research Associates
The AAN is dedicated to the support of all academics — administrators, faculty, and academic staff, regardless of position, rank, or appointment type.
The Academic Advancement Network evolved from the Office of Faculty and Organizational Development (F&OD for short). While some of the programs have been discontinued, many are continuing in updated and/or expanded forms with new names. These include:
- LEAD (LEadership and ADministrator Sessions)
- Conversations with MSU Leaders (interactive discussions with the President, Provost, Executive Vice President for Administrative Services, and other administrators)
- Survive and Thrive in the MSU Tenure System
- Thriving in the Tenure System I: Articulating Your Scholarly Identity Through a Strong Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Packet
- Thriving as an Academic Specialist at MSU
- Thriving as a Fixed-Term Faculty Member at MSU
- Thriving in the Tenure System II: Transitioning from Associate Professor to Professor
- New Faculty Orientation
- New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation
- Faculty Learning Communities (FLCs)
- Learning Communities (LCs)
Building on the foundation of the former Office of Faculty and Organizational Development, the AAN was formed in August, 2016. We evolved and broadened the scope of the work to focus on academics across all appointment types, disciplines and career stages. Please read about our values and mission on the About page.