We recognize the diversity of experiences, interests, expectations, needs, and career stages of academics. Our goal is to provide support for our academic colleagues who are striving to create meaningful and productive professional and personal lives in alignment with– and contributing toward– the missions of Michigan State University.
The Academic Career Paths programming and resources address pertinent junctures in an academic’s career–from when they enter the university, work toward promotion milestones, and transition into late career or retirement activities.
Academic Career Paths Events
- Thriving as an Academic Specialist at MSU
- Thriving in the Tenure System I: Articulating Your Scholarly Identity Through a Strong Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Packet
- Thriving as a Fixed-Term Faculty Member at MSU
- Thriving in the Tenure System II: Transitioning From Associate to Full Professor
Spring 2018 Events
- Envisioning Retirement Pathways
- Engaging with Faculty and Academic Staff on Retirement
- Looking Ahead to a Fulfilling Retirement: Resources, Conversations, and Opportunities
- Conversation with Administrators: March 28 discussion of issues and challenges facing mid-career tenure system faculty, with a goal of sharing strategies to foster productive careers. This event is intended for department chairs, school directors, and college-level administrators with roles related to faculty development.
- Symposium: An event for all mid-career faculty and academic staff is currently in development for the morning of April 30, 2018. It will feature a presentation by Dr. Kiernan Mathews, Executive Director and Principal Investigator of the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (COACHE) at Harvard, as well a panel discussion and breakout sessions with MSU academics and administrators.
- Mapping a Mentoring Roadmap and Developing a Supportive Network for Strategic Career Advancement PDF
- Characteristics of Effective Mentors and Mentees PDF
- Characteristics and Examples of Constructive Feedback PDF
- Introduction to Mentoring: A Guide for Mentors and Mentees PDF
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity Mentoring Roadmap PDF