2017 New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation
Welcome to Michigan State University. It is our hope that your life at MSU will be fulfilling and successful, now and in the future. To enable you to begin the process of learning the lay of the land at MSU, we have organized an orientation event on August 22, 2017 at the Kellogg Center.
We will be offering two identical New Faculty Orientation Sessions on August 22, 2017 at the MSU Kellogg Center. The Morning Program will be from 8:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. (Continental Breakfast 7:45 a.m. – 8:15 a.m.) with the luncheon from 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. and the Information Fair available from 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. The Afternoon Program will start with the Information Fair available from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. followed by the luncheon from 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. then the orientation session from 1:45 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. Both sessions will be open to all New Faculty and Academic Staff, allowing them to select the timing that best matches their availability. All New Faculty and Academic Staff will be invited to attend the midday luncheon.
The following supplemental orientation programs will also be offered to all new faculty and academic staff:
- Technology Orientation
- 2017 Teaching and Learning Boot Camp and Policy Quick Start to Teaching for Student Success at MSU
- Research Orientation (required for all new faculty and academic staff with research components to their appointments)
- Active Shooter and Emergency Response Training
- 2017 New Academics Picnic
We have also compiled a set of orientation materials designed specifically for New Faculty and Academic Staff. We invite you to explore these materials as part of your transition to life in the University community. The materials can be found below.
- Morning Session Agenda (8:15 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
- Afternoon Session Agenda (10:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.)
- Speaker Biographical Statements
- Central Administration and Academic Organization
- Board of Trustees
- Panelists' Contact Information
- New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation Checklist
- Syllabus Checklist
- MSU Campus Map
- MSU Police Resources
- Important Policies
- Academic Specialist Advisory Committee (ASAC)
- WorkLife Office
- Development Opportunities
- Community Resources and Offers
- Panel Questions Asked at the 2016 New Faculty and Academic Staff Orientation
- Online Survey Evaluation - Please provide your valuable feedback!
Please contact Jill Bryant, Project Event Coordinator at AANevent@msu.edu or by phone at (517) 355-7483 with any questions.
Please be advised that photographs will be taken at the event for use on the Academic Advancement Network website, Twitter and Facebook social media accounts, AAN marketing materials, and other university publications. By entering this event, you consent to the Academic Advancement Network photographing and using your image and likeness. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Blythe White, Communications Coordinator, at AANcomm@msu.edu.